The Water Ritual is an action that can be performed with legendary characters and anyone who has faction reputations listed.
To initiate the water ritual with a character, they must currently be not hostile to you. Speak to them and select the "begin water ritual" option. This costs 1 dram of a faction-dependant liquid. The first time you perform the water ritual with a character, you gain 100 reputation with their faction (125 with the skill Tactful) and gain or lose reputation with factions that like or dislike the character (-100 to +100). Further water rituals do not automatically grant reputation (unless you have gained Tactful since the last time you performed it, in which case you gain the extra 25).
WARNING: If you kill a character whom you've performed the ritual with, you will receive a message saying that you are cursed for slaying your bonded kin, and lose ~100 reputation with all (or most) of the factions. The overall reputation loss from doing this is normally greater than the gain from performing the ritual, so it is best to remember which characters you have performed it with.
Upon initiating the water ritual with a character, a new chat window opens with various options that can increase or decrease your reputation with their faction. Options that decrease it can only be selected when you have at least as much positive reputation as they decrease. There is a set amount of reputation that can be gained from a character beyond the initial 100-125, usually an additional 100.
"Secrets" are pieces of information that will be written in your journal, such as locations, history, and gossip.
- I have a secret to share with you. [+50 reputation]
- (Appears when you have at least one secret you can share. After selecting this, a list of secrets that you can share appears for you to select from. You gain 50 reputation points. After a secret has been shared, it can no longer be shared with this or other characters.)
- Share a secret with me, friend. [-50 reputation]
- (Always appears. You gain a random secret. You lose 50 reputation points)
- Would you teach me your ways? [learn <skill>: -<amount> reputation]
- (Some characters, or whole factions, can teach you certain skills. You do not have to have the skill's normal requirements. This costs as many reputation points as skill points the skill would cost to learn normally.)
- Would you gift me your <item>? [-<amount> reputation]
- (Some characters can give you items they possess. The amount of reputation points this costs varies, possibly based on the item's value.)
- I would ask you to join me, friend. [-<amount> reputation] [End]
- (Some characters can join you and become your follower, similar to if you had prosletyzed or beguiled them. The amount of reputation points this costs varies, possibly based on your and their levels.)
- Would you teach me to craft <item>? [-<amount> reputation]
- (Some characters can teach you certain tinkering recipes. The amount of reputation points this costs varies (16-83), possibly based on the recipe's value.)
- Live and drink. [end water ritual]
Each faction requires a certain liquid to initiate the water ritual. For most, the liquid is water. Known liquids associated with factions are listed below.
|Water||Barathrumites, Consortium of Phyta, Fellowship of Wardens, Mechanimists, Villagers of Joppa, Villagers of Kyakukya|
|Blood||Children of Mamon|
Rewards by factionEdit
Each faction offers different bonuses; in some cases, as with Seekers, Wardens, and Barathrumites, the rewards will differ from legendary to legendary. Note that you do not have to meet any prerequisites for the listed rewards; however, Espers still can't learn physical mutations, and Chimera still can't learn mental ones.
|Barathrumites||Tinkering (the root skill) and various tinker recipes|
|Fungi||A fungal infection|
|Newly Sentient Beings||200 skill points|
|Oozes||Slime Glands mutation|
|Roots||Wilderness Lore: Jungles|
|Seekers||Self Discipline and various mental mutations|
|Villagers of Kyakukya||Cooking and Gathering|